Friday, March 19, 2010

El Chupacabra

I went to the dentist this week. I HATE going to the dentist! I am afraid of needles, pain, my teeth falling out, drilling, the smells, the noises, the gritty toothpaste they use when they clean your teeth, and now the Chupacabra. Yes you did read that right THE CHUPACABRA. My knowledge of this mythical creature is soley based on theThe X-Files epsiode, El Mundo Gira. I have done a little more research on the subject this week after my dental visit. Below is a little information on  the Chupacabra.

The Chupacabra or Chupacabras (pronunciation: /tʃupa'kabɾa/, from the Spanish words chupar, meaning "to suck", and cabra, meaning "goat"; literally "goat sucker"), also called El Chupacabras in Spanish, is a legendary cryptid rumored to inhabit parts of the Americas. It is associated more recently with sightings of an allegedly unknown animal in Puerto Rico (where these sightings were first reported), Mexico, and the United States, especially in the latter's Latin American communities.[1] The name comes from the animal's reported habit of attacking and drinking the blood of livestock, especially goats. Physical descriptions of the creature vary. Eyewitness sightings have been claimed as early as 1990 in Puerto Rico, and have since been reported as far north as Maine, and as far south as Chile. It is supposedly a heavy creature, the size of a small bear, with a row of spines reaching from the neck to the base of the tail. Biologists and wildlife management officials view the Chupacabra as a contemporary legend


I am sure you are asking why my recent dental visit instilled in me a fear of El Chupacabra. While I was laying back in the chair, hooked up to the gas the dental assistant TEMP decided to make small talk with the Dr and I. Lately she has really gotten into TV show's like I Should't Be Alive, and I Survived. She also is a fan of the Animal Planet and their show Lost Tapes: Paranormal Creatures. She told me of a segment they did on the Chupacabra and how she believes it exists. She told me of it's eating habits and how it punctures your jugular and sucks you dry. Your body is left untouched and fine other than the three puncture wounds. While she was telling me this (multiple times) she would take her three fingers and jab, jab, jab at my neck. She also told me another story of The Oklahoma Octopus and how a group of students went camping and only two made it out alive, but all the deaths are caught on tape....blah blah blah. She FINALLY left after I asked her how many Faces of Death dvd's she owns. FYI...she claims none, but I'm sure that's a lie. All I could do was lay there thinking if the dentist doesn't kill me the Chupacabra or Oklahoma Octopus will. In the future I plan on asking them not to put me with her (if she ever temps there again). I made it through the dentist with flying colors thanks to a wonderful dentist, LOTS of gas, my ipod, prayer and did I mention the gas? I go back next week for one last filling. Pretty much I have an amazing life....I couldn't make this stuff up folks.


The Oklahoma Octopus....cause I know you want to know.


A FRESHWATER MONSTER? The Oklahoma Octopus is a mysterious creature generally said to inhabit three lakes in Oklahoma (Lake Thunderbird, Lake Oolagah and Lake Tenkiller) where it attacks and kills unsuspecting swimmers. According to legend and rumor, this freshwater demon measures the size of a horse and resembles an octopus, with long tentacles and leathery, reddish-brown skin. Skeptics question how an octopus — an ocean creature — could survive in freshwater lakes, but it is easy to believe that such a creature would be a fearsome predator. The Giant Pacific Octopus, for example, has tentacles that each boast the strength of a 200-pound man and a powerful beak that it uses to kill prey. EVIDENCE OF AN OCTOPUS? Although no physical evidence exists in the case of the Oklahoma Octopus, many point to the high mortality rate and large number of unexplained drownings in the Oklahoma lakes as a clear sign of its presence. There have also been numerous reported sightings. Cryptozoologists have pointed out that species of jellyfish have been able to adapt from saltwater to freshwater conditions, and the same adaptation may have been possible for a giant cephalopod trapped in an inland lake when coastal waters receded.


0 comments: