Monday, February 22, 2010

It's like crack...but better for you.

not actual picture*



I am sure you know by now how much I love to cook. I was a vegetarian for a while (before I moved to Crescent and my Doctor and lack of meat free dishes changed that). I also have dabbled in the art of eating completely animal free ...I couldn't do it for long I LOVE cheese, but I picked up a few things along the way. Believe me my 18 year old brother and friend loved these cupcakes and my father said it was the BEST coconut pecan frosting he has ever eaten. Give it a try you never know how much you'll like something until you try it. My mother also pointed out this is a perfect treat for people who don't have access to dairy or for a delish food storage dessert. My family is hooked...



The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake Ever

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa (I usually add a little more for a richer flavor)
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons white vinegar
3/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups cold water

Directions: Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl or mixer (use the batter attachment) combine dry ingredients. Stir in oil, vinegar and vanilla mix until it's a paste. Slowly stir in the water a cup at a time. It won't seem like it can take that much, just keep stirring. After all liquid is incorporated stir or mix for a minute or so more. Bake at 350 until the middle of the cake is springy to the touch or a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Immediately turn out and wrap with plastic wrap. This keeps the cake super moist. Let cool to room temperature before frosting.

This makes a little over 2 dozen cupcakes, one bunt cake, or two 9" rounds. Be sure to adjust the baking time.

This goes great with a coconut pecan frosting, which is listed below. This is by far the best vegan cake recipe I have found, and I've been looking!

Preparation time: 50 minutes





Coconut Pecan Frosting

1 stick margarine (1/2 cup)
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions: Boil together all ingredients in a medium to large saucepan over medium-high heat for 8-12 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour then spread on cake while frosting is still warm. Let set up for a few minutes before serving (sets up faster if you cover it and place it in the fridge).

Serves: enough for one 2-layer cake, or 24 cupcakes

Preparation time: 15 minutes


0 comments: